Tuesday, December 6, 2016

WHY DO WE STILL HAVE LIVE ANIMAL ZOOS?

     I AM RE-POSTING THIS BLOG, BECAUSE THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT, THE MORE PASSIONATE I FEEL ABOUT THE SUBJECT. MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME THAT CHILDREN WOULD NEVER KNOW WHAT THE EXPERIENCE OF SEEING LIVE ZOO ANIMALS I SAY BACK, "THAT WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO IMMERSE THEM IN THE ANIMALS NATURAL HABITAT, WE AS HUMANS, HAVE THE OBLIGATION TO PROTECT THEM IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT, NOT PUT THEM IN PENS OR MAKE BELIEVE HABITATS!'
    

     I have never been a big name animal activist, but the more I think of it, why do we still have zoos? What about taking animals out of their natural habitat makes sense? We have the highest technology ever seen in the world that could allow top animal researchers to film all animals and give us a better video perspective and understanding of the animal kingdom than any zoo ever has. We can actually see things that are only described by those who visit them in their natural habitat. Call it a video zoo, or a lack of misery zoo for animals who no longer have to endure captivity, while the call of their nature and wild is calling to them.

     No, not everyone will agree with me, as I'm getting an earful as I write this from a dissenting voice. That being that, with the invention of 3d goggles that can give you the full experience of thrill rides without leaving your chair at home, why not make documentaries that will allow children and adults to be immersed in the animals habitat, their hunting, breeding, the sounds and interaction as a species without the need to rip them out of their homes? You could even capture the odor of their natural habitat and allow the smell to interact with the video. Call me what you will, but I believe this should be enough reason to no longer support live animal zoos. 

     Can you imagine the money that could be freed up to be used to hire more bush police to enforce the protection of animals from poachers? Maybe even put poachers out of business for good. No more big game hunts. Nature will take care of itself. To kill an animal for a trophy is my belief a sin. To kill for food and need is one thing. To kill just for sport so you can view your kill for the rest of your life is senseless, self indulgent and cruel. Yeah, put that big game gun in the animal's hand and you be the target would give you a whole new perspective on what all life is worth. We are the guardians and caretakers of this world and we need to be more proactive towards the animal kingdom.

     I'm a carnivore, enjoy my steaks, pork, chicken..etc. However, I don't go around killing any animal unless it for food, or a danger to those around me. Same way with people. I don't go around kidnapping them or killing them just to kill. Only if they would become a danger to me or those around me. I just think live animal zoos are archaic and out of touch with technology and the need for animals to live and die as nature intended, not zoo keepers. 

     Food for thought (that may not be a good phrase).  

     

No comments: